Friday

Summer Storms

A summer thunderstorm came through this week and laid waste to my tomatoes, blowing the fence support over my peppers, reminding me that not only should I stake my tomatoes more strongly, I should prune the non-producing stems and suckers to allow more air circulation and feed the producing parts instead of lush greenery. To prune a tomato, I start at the bottom, cutting the lower, non producing leaves, branches and suckers out with a knife, pruners, or simply pinching the tender, new shoots with my finger. Suckers are the new growth growing out of a leaf or limb "vee" and are non productive on the vine. Some of the healthiest limbs and suckers can be rooted by putting them in water or soggy peat, vermiculite or compost. Healthy, supporting roots will grow within a few days and can be planted safely when the roots are an inch or longer. These will make good late tomatoes (in zone 6/7 or higher) if planted this month, and if they are placed where they can be sheltered against frost will bear until a true freeze or prolonged cold weather comes.
Pruning in this manner will not significantly reduce your crop, and will help with the health of the plant, and ripe, juicy tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment